Nová Pec – a village on the right bank of the Lipno Reservoir, founded in the mid 17th century as a woodcutting settlement. Today, it is a frequent starting point for tourist trips, for example to the Plešné Lake, Třístoličník, Bear Trail, Deer Hills or the Schwarzenberg Canal.
Horní Planá – founded in the 14th century by monks from the Zlatá Koruna monastery. The dominating feature of the town is the original Gothic church dedicated to St. Margaret (1374). Today, with a population exceeding 2,200 people, it is the biggest town on the left bank of the Lipno Reservoir, whose jurisdiction also includes other neighbouring villages, such as Zvonková, Bližší Lhota, Pernek, Hodňov, Hůrka, Karlovy Dvory or Jenišov. It was the home town of Adalbert Stifter (1805 – 1868), the “Poet of the Bohemian Forest”. There is a museum in his birthplace.
Černá v Pošumaví – the first records of the village “on the black river” date back to the 13th century. In the 16th century, a princely brewery was built here, supplying the whole region, including the monastery in Vyšší Brod, with beer. The Lipno Reservoir is the widest at this point and provides favourable conditions for yachting and windsurfing, as well as for fishing enthusiasts.
Frymburk – founded in the 13th century as a market settlement on a commercial road from Upper Austria to Český Krumlov. It is said that in 1467, when the peace mission of George of Poděbrady returned from abroad, they used a bridge across the Vltava that used to stand there. The attention of all eyes in the neighbourhood is captured by the tower of the Church of St. Bartholomew from the 13th century, which was later reconstructed in Late Gothic style.
Přední Výtoň – founded in the 14th century in the place of two monasteries, it is the only large municipality on the right bank of the Lipno Reservoir. It also administers the villages of Pasečná, Svatý Tomáš and Frýdava and three border crossings at the Czech-Austrian border. It is a starting point for biking and hiking trips that explore the surrounding countryside and the Austrian side of the Bohemian Forest. The new modern Summer Sports Facility is an exciting place to participate in your favourite sport or activity.
Lipno nad Vltavou – originally a woodcutters’ settlement from the 16th century, from where wood was rafted to the Czech inland. Upon construction of the Lipno Reservoir, it became one of the most popular recreation centres. Today, there are two large modern sports and relaxation facilities – Marina Lipno (a waterpark) located directly at the reservoir and Kramolín, a winter skiing and snowboarding resort about one kilometre to the north.
Loučovice – a village from the 14th century with the Chapel of St. Procopius preserved from the same century and the Church of St. Ulrich, the patron of fishermen, which is a century younger. The village is known for the production of wood pulp and various kinds of paper, which has more than a hundred-year’s tradition there. The local section of the Vltava River, called Devil’s Drift, hosts regular whitewater slalom races.
Vyšší Brod – as the name suggests (“brod” means ford in Czech); at the beginning there was a village at the commercial road guarding a ford across the Vltava. In the 13th century, the Witikonides founded a Cistercian monastery in the village, which is still standing. The oldest structures are the originally Gothic Church of Ascension of Our Lady, the chapter hall and the cloister. Under the church, there is a tomb of the Rožmberk House, where the last of the Rožmberks, Petr Vok, was buried in 1612. Close to the village, there is a nature reserve named Devil’s Wall, an extensive rock field.